Wednesday 21 December 2011

Personal Best - Favourites Of 2011

Well I guess it's that time of year, pretty much every mag, blog or website has some sort of 'best of' roundup, so why should I buck the trend and be any different!

Thought I'd compile a little disc length download of some of my favourite musical  moments of 2011.
So in no particular order, let's begin....

TV Ghost - Mass Dream


This kinda got under my skin after initially not really connecting with it. It's a strange record which takes a musical theme and runs with it through almost all of the tracks, I guess you could argue that it creates an album that sounds samey, but that's what I like about it, the continuity of sound. Wiry Guitars, taught rhythms, the strange scream/warble of the vocals. I guess the nearest bands sound wise that come to mind are Pere Ubu, The Scientists and the garage tremblings of someone like The Cramps. The singer/ lyricist Gick stated in an interview elsewhere, and I'm paraphrasing here.."I take all the things I dislike about modern life and use them as a basis for songs and music". This, you might think is a recipe for a slightly depressing turn of evens, but far from it, the taught pulsings of TV Ghost slowly unravelled and kept me coming back for more.


Fujiya & Miyagi - Ventrilloquizzing




You could argue that it's business as usual with Fujiyama & Miyagi with their latest offering, but for me those motorik Krautrock rhythms, and the repetitious vocal simplicity are what I like about them. I guess their major touchstone would be Future Days era Can, but that you could argue is heavily filtered through decades of minimal dance music and a nod and a wink to other artists of a similar ilk such as Echoboy or Whitey (bot curiously from Manchester)

You can hear them playing some of this live in an earlier post on Sound Mirrors here from earlier in the year.

The Advisory Circle - As The Crow Flies



The yesteryear transmission from Belbury Parish have warmed the cockles muchly this year. For me, this is one time Hauntology inspired Jim Jupp's finest record to date. Packed to the brim with otherworldly, half recognised samples, simple electronic melodies and the tinge old tobacco, this is a psychological treat for people of a certain age. The theme of the album is based around the changing of the seasons, and the in-constancy (is that even a word) of the everyday. For me there are big nods to bands such as Broadcast and Boards of Canada, so if you like these fellows. maybe this is for you. Plus, a big bonus for me is the beautiful artwork of Julian House, whose visual ideology holds the whole Ghostbox genre under his retro fixated spell.


Brian Eno - Drums Between The Bells.



This is a record that has accompanied me on many a journey and walk, it really is a thing of great beauty, and for me, his best work in years. Eno composes the music, and the vocals/ spoken words are from a variety of sources, from the poet Rick Holland, to people whose voice he just likes the sound of that he met down the gym. Now this could reek of pretension, but for someone of Eno's stature, it works well. The 'songs' cover variety of themes from the lofty to the everyday. Some tracks are just instrumental, whilst the majority have some sort of vocal accompaniment. As I said, it's a real thing of beauty, and if you need a few minutes peace and quiet, it's something I dip into often. The album 'Sleepwalkers' by David Sylvian has a similar vibe about it, and is another I couldn't recommend enough.


The Lumerians - Transmalinnia



Three years on from their debut self titled mini LP comes 'Transmalinnia', a wonderful dark psych epic from Lumerians, which, whilst not ploughing quite the same furrow of the debut EP, certainly inhabits an adjacent field. Swirling organs, droning guitars, tribal drumming and deep in the mix laconic vocals are the order of the day. To give you a flavour, if they made a Charlie Manson inspire movie, these fellas would more than be up to the task of sound tracking it. On the surface they are similar to bands like The Black Angles and Wooden Shjips, but there's definitely a dark streak to these fellas the others don't come near to.


Ghostpoet - Peanut Butter Blues  Melancholy Jam



Vulnerability isn't something that you usually associate with hip hop, but this debut by Ghostpoet isn't afraid to wear his heart on his sleeve, which makes for an album which is all to human in it's content. The sound musically is similar to Tricky or Massive Attack, but don't let that put you off, he's flying a different flag. Describing himself as a rapper with a lisp and some stories, he's much more than that. It's refreshing to hear someone telling everyday stories of their life and struggles instead of mucho bravado about guns bitches and ho's. Like Scroobious Pip, another hip hop artist/ poet making music and rhymes in a similar vein, it's a rewarding listen.

John Foxx and the Maths - Interplay



John Foxx is someone I've loved and admired ever since my 13 year old self marveled at the strange and stark future offered up by the epic Underpass single, way back in 1980. Unaware at the time of  the record of his previous involvement with Ultravox, I've followed his career for many years, not always liking what I've heard, but always admiring his relentless pushing forward. Interplay is a wonderful collaboration with analogue junkies The Maths, made wholly on period analogue synthesizers, it's a real step back to those wonderful years of the seminal Metamatic, albeit heavily filtered through 4/4 dance floor conventions. Ahhh, if only more chart music sounded like this, I'd be happy as a pig in shit.


Magazine - No Thyself



Spurred on by the success of a live reunion of a few years ago, here we have a brand new album by a once seminal post punk band. I gotta admit, Magazine are one of my fav' bands ever and I wasn't really looking forward to hearing this new material upon release and held back a while before getting a copy.
Well, what can I say, the music is definitely Magazine shaped, but as to the vocals/ lyrics, well, ahem, lets say some tracks are OK, whilst a few are more than a little preposterous, but hey, it's Howard, and I'll forgive him whatever.
Still a better effort than my next favourite at of the 80's, the Bauhaus reunion album 'Go Away White' really WAS a pile of shite.


Julian Cope - The Jehovahcoat Demos







Sometime head and psychedelic explorer Julian Cope releases filler from seminal 'Jehovahkill' album period, but would it be any good?
I gotta admit, I was really excited when I heard this was gonna be released, Jehovahkill, alongside Peggy Suicide and Autogeddon are by far my favourite Cope releases. The guy was really channeling something at the time, dunno what was in that Avebury water, but he certainly was a-full of it.
Now, I gotta be honest, 'Jehovahcoat' is not all great, hell, some of it isn't even good and stinks of more than a little of barrel dragging, but for all it's faults, it's an album I've returned to again and again, cos' the good bits are just soooo good, and TBH, it's still head and shoulders above much of his 'Black Sheep' output, which finds our be-German leathered Julian so far up his own rectum, I'm sure he's not smelt fresh air for quite some time. Here's hoping he revolution-ises himself back into reality at some not to distant future point.


Moon Duo - Mazes



Second album by Wooden Shjips offshoot. This isn't wholly great, straying somewhat into the territory of 'Da Shjips' but again, has enough of interest to keep me returning. Still ploughing that motorik Suicide meets Psych vibe, there are a few standout moments on this record, though in all honesty, I prefer the debut, it's a little rawer, which is something I'll always treasure,  always preferring the burred edges, and buffed corners to the polished and pristine, just the way I am.


Nightbeats - Night



 Dunno anything about Nightbeats, who they are or where they're from, but I love their Crampsian take on garage rock/punk. Sometimes a coming on like the 13the Floor Elevators, at other times more like Australian garage monsters The Scientists, it's a heartfelt guitar trebled din with more than a whiff of patchouli and joss stick about it, and screams of days spent sleeping and night out in the psychedelic basement.


Psychic Ills - Hazed Dream




You'll notice that for me, Sacred Bones Records have been the label of the year, with no less than three albums from the label on my list (Moon Duo, Psychic Ill's and Religious Knives) and like Ghostbox, they have great label identity/branding throughout.
Psychic Ill's came to my attention through various posts on the Head Heritage unsung forum, a few of the peeps there whose taste I trust said I'd enjoy them, and dang em' if they were bang on the money. Coming on a LOT like Spacemen 3, they have that same droned out/ blissed out vibe about them, with the odd gospel/country tinged detour, this is definitely a record to kick back with, pop open your favourite beverage and hit the repeat button.


Tarwater - Inside The Ships



Whilst for me not quite up there with  Spider Smile from 2007, it's a return to form of sorts, and a long time coming. More instrumental than recent recordings, having a more Silur like vibe to it for me, but no less enjoyable because of it. Its sad that there are less 'sung' tracks, as the laconic, chocolate melting delivery of Jestram is what I like about Tarwater. That feint German accent, has a real European exotica feel to it, it's measured tomes and choice of words. Musically, Tarwater are never less than interesting, investing their electronic shifts and swings with Krautrock/ post rock diversions and impeccable production values, they truly are one of Europe's great unsung recording acts.


Thurston Moore - Demolished Thoughts



Getting production assistance from non other than Beck, this is a killer of a record, and one I can honestly say I'd never have expected from one time Sonic Youth noise terrorist Thurston. I guess this was written during the parting throes of his longtime marriage to fellow 'Youther' Kim Gordon, another shock from earlier in the year. This record has accompanied me on many a meander, beautifully orchestrated and played gently on acoustic guitar, it's a record I never really thought I'd enjoy, but it's just so damn good. Why this isn't all over the airwaves beggar's belief, as Thurston opens up with songs of real heartfelt wonder and honesty. Fantastic...go out and buy it NOW.


Religious Knives - Smokescreen




Onetime Double Leopards produce new group and super psych jams.
This is another of those great Sacred Bones releases, a label that's shaping up to be a psychfest dreadnought. There's not a record I've heard from this label that I haven't loved. This album is awesome. Drenched in heavy heavy reverb, it's a wonderful and slightly un-nerving listen, tribal drums (check), deep drone guitar (check), reverbed vocal (check) largactil (check) al the things for a slightly disturbing 60's themed drug fest in fact, just don't put it on if your having a bad one...you might not ever come back.


Wooden Shjips - West



Whilst not my favourite Shjips album, in that they probably stray nearer to Loop territory than they ever have before, this is still a mighty fine record that benefits from a bigger production values, and instrument separation. If your familiar with the band, then I guess it's business as usual, but they make a din I still enjoy, and am very much looking forward to the next one.


Suuns - Bambi EP




Now, if you've followed this bog for a while, you'll already know i adore Suuns. Kinda like a meaty Canadian Clinic with dance floor tendancies, and a krautrock backbone, these boys have more than rocked my world this year (though sadly missed em' live due to work, grrrrrr). Anyhow, rather than post something from the album  (available here folks) or EP I thought I'd add the A-Side from the limited 12" 'Bambi'. .


This'll probably be my last post till after Xmas and the new year, so have a good one, and as as Wizard once sand

"I wish it could be Christmas every day ay ay ay"



Have a good un!

No comments:

Post a Comment